30 December, 2015

2015 Review

Most years I have plenty of news to report about my own writing. This year, I was going to say that nothing happened - as a full-time mum of two boys under two years-old, I have done much less writing than I'd like. However, looking back I see that more happens when life goes on than you realise! What's been the highlight of your year?

  • My debut novel The Art of Letting Go was selected for promotion by Amazon in February which led to sales of nearly 10 000 copies and a brief stint as the bestseller in Women's Literary Fiction.
  • Even more exciting, my novel was one of the Top 10 most-read books on Kindle in the UK in February, making me one of the 20 most-read Kindle authors too.
  • My flash fiction The Language of Fish won second-prize in a competition.
  • I decided to scrap the first draft of a novel I was working on and started again in February, finishing the new draft just a few days before my second son was born in August. It was extremely hard work, especially towards the end of the pregnancy. My first drafts are always awful, but I'm proud of just completing this one.
  • The Art of Letting Go was voted for by the public and was one of three winners in the People's Book Prize for the autumn quarter of the 2015/2016 competition. It will go forward as one of 12 finalists in May.
  • At the end of the year my novel had over 100 reviews on Amazon, averaging 4.3 stars. This was my favourite review. 

So even though I've done very little writing, my past work has kept me going throughout 2015. And of course, I've read a lot of good books. The one advantage of being up a lot of the night with a new baby - plenty of reading time! Despite this, I've not read as many books as some years. Here's a summary of my reading year...

  • I read 19 books in total.
  • Four books I gave ten out of ten: Perfect by Rachel Joyce; We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler; The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton; The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak.
  • Of these, my absolute favourite was The Book Thief.
  • My least favourite read of the year was Something Borrowed, Someone Dead by MC Beaton.
  • The average score I gave the books this year was exactly eight out of ten.

What was your top read of the year?

I hope all the people who have taken the time to read my blog and support in me in so many other ways this year have a blessed and happy 2016.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on all the good news and things that happened this year!!

    Funny - I just couldn't get on with the book "We are all completely beside ourselves". Couldn't stand the protagonist. But I LOVED the Book Thief.

    I forgot how much I loved your Flash 500 story too. Wonderful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if you didn't finish your next novel, you still had a busy year, and it seems like The Art of Letting Go was still going strong. You'll get back into it when life allows, I'm sure.

    Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.