30 January, 2015

Quotable Friday (40)

Yesterday was the 150th anniversary of the publication of Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (the pen name of mathematician Charles Dodgson). Alice is a bizarre and quirky children's story that has been loved for a century and a half. What better reason than that to celebrate with a couple of quotations?

There are so many famously odd lines in the book, but I've chosen two I think apply to writers in particular...

"'Begin at the beginning,' the king said, very gravely, 'and go on till you come to the end: then stop.'"

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

3 comments:

  1. I like the begin at the beginning one. So practical.

    I'd like to read Alice in Wonderland now as an adult. Too see my adult perspective of it. I've got a lot of books I enjoyed as a kid that I'd like to read now too, but I've got so many on my to read list, re-reading some of them might not happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice choices for quotes. Alice in Wonderland has been one of my all time favorite books. It's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Suzi and Elizabeth - I played the Queen of Hearts in my school play when I was 11, so I have a great affection for it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.