08 March, 2013

Quotable Friday (1)


I love reading quotations. Whether they’re funny, wise or poignant, I love those snapshots into the human mind; I love the beauty of language. There aren’t always easy ways to crowbar great passages from novels or thoughtful quotations into ordinary blog posts, so on Fridays I’m letting them speak for themselves. No deep thoughts, no fancy attempts to unpick hidden meanings – just snippets of our beautiful language I’ve come across that I’ve fallen in love with. I’d love to know what you think of them.

I’m mostly sticking to passages from novels and quotations from writers, but I’ll consider anything, so if you come across something you think I should share with the world, get in touch.



Life is sometimes hard. Things go wrong, in life and in love and in business and in friendship and in health and in all the other ways that life can go wrong. And when things get tough, this is what you should do.

Make good art.

I'm serious. Husband runs off with a politician? Make good art. Leg crushed and then eaten by mutated boa constrictor? Make good art. IRS on your trail? Make good art. Cat exploded? Make good art. Somebody on the Internet thinks what you do is stupid or evil or it's all been done before? Make good art. Probably things will work out somehow, and eventually time will take the sting away, but that doesn't matter. Do what only you do best. Make good art.

Make it on the good days too.

Neil Gaiman, commencement speech at the University of the Arts, 2012

2 comments:

  1. Lovely quote. Very good advice for day-to-day living, really. Thanks for the share.

    I came to your blog via Martin Willoughby's. I'll be back for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in! I'm sure I'll be quoting more of that speech at some point, it was amazing from top to toe.

      I do enjoy Martin's blog - where would our Fridays be without him, hey? Look forward to "meeting" you again!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.