10 December, 2012

Merry Bookmas!

My husband and I have been debating whether or not to get a Christmas tree this year. I love to get a real tree and it's the only Christmas decoration I actually like. We also tend to use it as a card holder - standing up all our cards in its branches. BUT for the first time since we married, we are not actually going to be home on Christmas day. Luckily our dilemma was solved when I saw this post on the author Charmaine Clancy's blog Wagging Tales. Thanks Charmaine - great idea!

Here are a few photos of our Christmas "tree". My husband is an engineer and I'm a writer, so it seemed appropriate...


Playing a game of book Jenga

Some of the fabulous authors helping to make our Christmas

The finished article

An angel's eye view. Who doesn't have a Dr. Seuss book somewhere?

How will you be decorating your house this year?

9 comments:

  1. What a great idea - and it looks great!

    (But probably just as well you aren't a bomb disposal operative or something...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be terrible, I'd get impatient and just start poking at bits of it.

      Delete
  2. That is totally cool.

    We always get a real tree. No fake here. I love walking into the house and smelling pine.

    I had an unusual tree when I was younger. I grew up on the edge of town, with a small coulee and a few trees, plus and open flat fields of crops behind us.

    One year I had a tumbleweed for a tree, in my bedroom. No lights, but Christmas decorations all ovre. I may have been 8-12 or somewhere in there.

    It was a terrific tumbleweed though. Nicely rounded. Good branches. It was kinda fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tumbleweed tree is awesome! (Just had to look up what a coulee is - we don't really have them over here!)

      Delete
  3. Just a little bit jealous :p Very cool, and very well executed (though I'd expect nothing less!).

    Christmas at home for us this year so very much looking forward to getting a real tree and setting it up this weekend. This definitely inspires me to be more creative next time we're away for Christmas though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My part in the execution was finding different thicknesses of books. I couldn't have built it - that was definitely Paul's skill set! I couldn't have worked out how to cantilever the books so they were actually stable. This was one time I was grateful to have Ulysses/ War and Peace/ A Suitable Boy (plus Mr. Men books for filling in the gaps!)

      Delete
    2. I can see the Mr Men books making very good wedges, and well done to Paul :)

      Delete
  4. That looks brilliant - couldn't do that with an e-reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or at least, it would be very expensive to stack up Kindles into a Christmas tree shape!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.