01 June, 2011

Is it Really June Already?

Not posting for four weeks? How terrible of me! My excuse for this unforgiveable lapse in blogging is that I have had nothing much to write about. Instead of writing a tedious post about how hard it is to think of something to post, however, I will at least update you as to what I've been doing over the last month.

Firstly, I organised myself with folders and spreadsheets and notebooks and all sorts so that I can at least pretend to be a proper writer who is expecting to get commissions and be published and things like that. I like organising. As I have quite a lot of different projects going on at the moment, one of my new organised-writer techniques is to write down what I am going to achieve on each of them, each week. This gives me a pleasing sense of achievement when I can cross them off - why is crossing things off lists so extraordinarily satisfying?

My main project has been writing a short story about an artist, which I hope to have finished in another two weeks. It's longer than any of my other stories (5000 words) and I found the length quite hard to get right - it's long enough that something has to happen, but too short for anything much to happen! I'm quite pleased with it, although annoyed that the only way I can get it to work is to write it in the first person from the point of view of a teenage girl, which is highly fashionable at the moment (if you read competition winner's work), but hardly original. In addition to this, I have been working on my shorthand, on the first assignment of my writing course and on planning the changes I need to make on my novel. The first assignment isn't very interesting but it will be good to get it out of the way so I can make contact with a tutor.

Hubby and I are going on holiday in a couple of weeks to see my lovely sister-in-law get married and I would like to be able to focus on my novel re-write after that, so the race is on to finish my shorthand workbook and this short story before we go. The only thing I will still try to do at the same time as my novel is the next assignment, oh, and maybe a txtlit or something, just for fun. Ooooh, that's just reminded me that I forgot to enter the May txtlit and it's now 12 hours after the deadline. Damn. I had written an entry and everything. So much for being organised...

PS: I am pleased to say that my author profile is now online at Bamboccioni Books, in advance of the anthology I was commissioned to write for being published later this summer.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure there are any 'proper' writers, other than the ones who never gave up! I like the intimacy of 1st person POV, but it limits what information and insight you can bring into the tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait you use spreadsheets, i do hope thats a personal preference or im really not writing properly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry Rob, it's not for the writing - more for the keeping track of what I've submitted where and any money I've won or earned etc. I am optimistic that I might need to use it more over the next few years!

    Thank you Derek and welcome! I like 1st person a lot but I was trying to avoid the teenage girl - but she just was a teenager, however much I tried to pretend she was older. Sometimes characters seem to write themselves rather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, thank you for the recent visit to my site Chloe. I took your comments on board (again) and acted on them. My Gas Chamber excerpt now reads better.

    On the subject of your good self I'm pleased you and your hubby are getting away from it all. I've recently had a week in Germany on holiday but I have to admit I was up at 6.30 every morning writing for two hours.

    You are the most organised writers I've come across and it will pay dividends I'm sure. Glad to see things going well with your anthology.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.